fifth wheel(redirected from fifth-wheel trailers)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. A wheel or portion of a wheel placed horizontally over the forward axle of a carriage to provide support and stability during turns.
b. A similar device over the rear axle or axles of a tractor or pickup truck, serving as a coupling for a semitrailer.
2. An additional wheel carried on a four-wheeled vehicle as a spare.
3. An extra and unnecessary person or thing.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) a spare wheel for a four-wheeled vehicle
2. (Mechanical Engineering)
a. the coupling table of an articulated vehicle
b. a steering bearing that enables the front axle of a horse-drawn vehicle to rotate relative to the body
3. a superfluous or unnecessary person or thing
1. a horizontal ring or segment of a ring, consisting of two bands that slide on each other, placed above the front axle of a carriage and designed to support the forepart of the body while allowing it to turn freely in a horizontal plane.
2. a superfluous or unwanted person or thing.
Before the advent of trucks, the fifth wheel was a semicircular iron ring attached to a wagon’s front axle to give additional support to the rest of the Running gear as the axle pivoted during turns.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fifth wheel - someone or something that is unwanted and unneeded|
|2.||fifth wheel - an extra car wheel and tire for a four-wheel vehicle|
car wheel - a wheel that has a tire and rim and hubcap; used to propel the car
|3.||fifth wheel - a steering bearing that enables the front axle of a horse-drawn wagon to rotate|
bearing - a rotating support placed between moving parts to allow them to move easily