Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
Related to fils: Fios
Used to distinguish a son from his father when they have the same given name.
n. pl. fils
1. A unit of currency equal to 1/1000 of the dinar in several countries of the Middle East.
2. A unit of currency equal to 1/100 of the dirham in the United Arab Emirates.
an addition to a French surname to specify the son rather than the father of the same name: a book by Dumas fils. Compare père
n, pl fils
a. a fractional monetary unit of Bahrain, Iraq, Jordan, and Kuwait, worth one thousandth of a dinar
b. a fractional monetary unit of the United Arab Emirates, worth one hundredth of a dirham
c. a fractional monetary unit of Yemen, worth one hundredth of a riyal
n., pl. fils.
1. a monetary unit of Bahrain, Iraq, Jordan, and Kuwait, equal to 1/1000 of a dinar.
2. a monetary unit of the United Arab Emirates, equal to 1/100 of a dirham.
3. a monetary unit of the Republic of Yemen, equal to 1/100 of a rial.Often, fil.
[1885–90; < Arabic]
n., pl. fils.
French. son: often used after a name with the meaning of Jr., as in Dumas fils. Compare père.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fils - 100 Yemeni fils are worth one Yemeni rial|
Yemeni monetary unit - monetary unit in Yemen
|2.||fils - a fractional monetary unit in Bahrain and Iraq and Jordan and Kuwait; equal to one thousandth of a dinar|
fractional monetary unit, subunit - a monetary unit that is valued at a fraction (usually one hundredth) of the basic monetary unit