fingering(redirected from fingerings)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. The technique used in playing a musical instrument with the fingers.
2. The indication on a musical score of which fingers are to be used in playing.
1. (Music, other) the technique or art of using one's fingers in playing a musical instrument, esp the piano
2. (Music, other) the numerals in a musical part indicating this
(Knitting & Sewing) fine wool for knitting
[C17: from earlier fingram, perhaps from Old French fin grain fine grain]
fin•ger•ing(ˈfɪŋ gər ɪŋ)
1. the act of a person who fingers.
a. the action or method of using the fingers in playing on an instrument.
b. the indication of the way the fingers are to be used in performing a piece of music.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fingering - the placement of the fingers for playing different notes (or sequences of notes) on a musical instrument|
musical performance - the act of performing music
|2.||fingering - touching something with the fingers|
fingering[ˈfɪŋgərɪŋ] N (Mus) → digitación f
fingering[ˈfɪŋgərɪŋ] n (MUSIC) → doigté m
(Mus, in the notation) → Fingersatz m; (of keys, strings) → (Finger)technik f; the fingering is very difficult → die Griffe sind sehr schwierig
(of goods in shop etc) → Anfassen nt, → Berühren nt; (= toying, meddling) → Befingern nt (→ of, with +gen), → Herumfingern nt (→ of, with an +dat)
(Tex) → Strumpfwolle f