Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various plants of the genus Epilobium, especially E. angustifolium (syn. Chamerion angustifolium), having long, terminal, spikelike clusters of pinkish-purple flowers. Also called willow herb.
2. Any of several weedy North American plants of the genus Erechtites in the composite family, having small white or greenish flowers grouped in discoid heads.
[So called because the plants are pioneer species in areas where fire has destroyed other vegetation.]
1. (Plants) any of various plants that appear as first vegetation in burnt-over areas, esp rosebay willowherb
2. (Plants) Also called: pilewort a weedy North American plant, Erechtites hieracifolia, having small white or greenish flowers: family Asteraceae (composites)
3. (Plants) an Australian rainforest tree, Stenocarpus sinuatus, having whorls of bright red flowers
any of various plants, as the willow herb, appearing in recently burned clearings.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fireweed - tall North American perennial with creeping rootstocks and narrow leaves and spikes of pinkish-purple flowers occurring in great abundance in burned-over areas or recent clearings; an important honey plant|
Epilobium, genus Epilobium - large widely distributed genus of herbs and subshrubs of especially western North America and Arctic areas
willowherb - a plant of the genus Epilobium having pink or yellow flowers and seeds with silky hairs
|2.||fireweed - an American weedy plant with small white or greenish flowers|
genus Erechtites - coarse herbs with whitish discoid flower heads and silky pappus
weed - any plant that crowds out cultivated plants