fishery(redirected from fisheries)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. fish·er·ies
1. The industry or occupation devoted to the catching, processing, or selling of fish, shellfish, or other aquatic animals.
2. A place where fish or other aquatic animals are caught.
3. A fishing business.
4. A hatchery for fish.
5. The legal right to fish in specified waters or areas.
n, pl -eries
a. the industry of catching, processing, and selling fish
b. a place where this is carried on
2. (Fishing) a place where fish are reared
3. (Fishing) a fishing ground
4. (Angling) another word for piscary2
fish•er•y(ˈfɪʃ ə ri)
n., pl. -er•ies.
1. a place where fish are bred; fish hatchery.
2. a place where fish or shellfish are caught.
3. the occupation or industry of catching, processing, or selling fish or shellfish.
4. the legal right to fish in certain waters or at certain times.
Fisherya collection of fish of different kinds, 1828; a group of fishermen, 1710.