Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One who whips, especially one who scourges oneself for religious discipline or public penance.
2. One who seeks sexual gratification in beating or being beaten by another person.
[Latin flagellāns, flagellant-, from present participle of flagellāre, to whip; see flagellate.]
flagellant(ˈflædʒɪlənt; fləˈdʒɛlənt) or
1. a person who whips himself or others either as part of a religious penance or for sexual gratification
2. (Historical Terms) (often capital) (in medieval Europe) a member of a religious sect who whipped themselves in public
[C16: from Latin flagellāre to whip, from flagellum]
flag•el•lant(ˈflædʒ ə lənt, fləˈdʒɛl ənt)
1. a person who flagellates himself or herself for religious discipline.
2. a person who derives sexual pleasure from whipping or being whipped by another person.adj.
3. pertaining to flagellation.
4. severely criticizing.
[1555–65; < Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||flagellant - a person who is whipped or whips himself for sexual gratification|
masochist - someone who obtains pleasure from receiving punishment
|2.||flagellant - a person who whips himself as a religious penance|
penitent - (Roman Catholic Church) a person who repents for wrongdoing (a Roman Catholic may be admitted to penance under the direction of a confessor)