flare-up(redirected from flare-ups)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal.
1. A sudden outbreak of flame or light: a flare-up of the embers.
2. An outburst or eruption: a flare-up of anger.
3. A sudden worsening of the symptoms of a disease or condition: a flare-up of eczema.
1. a sudden burst of fire or light
2. informal a sudden burst of emotion or violence
vb (intr, adverb)
3. to burst suddenly into fire or light
4. informal to burst into anger
Flare-Upa noisy dance; a jovial social gathering—Slang Dictionary, 1874.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||flare-up - a sudden intense happening; "an outburst of heavy rain"; "a burst of lightning"|
salvo - an outburst resembling the discharge of firearms or the release of bombs
rush - a sudden burst of activity; "come back after the rush"