Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
flash pointalso flash·point (flăsh′point′)
1. The lowest temperature at which a combustible liquid or solid produces sufficient vapor near its surface to generate an ignitable mixture with air.
2. The point at which eruption into significant action, creation, or violence occurs: "The shootdown did not increase international tensions to the flash point" (Seymour M. Hersh).
1. something that causes violence or conflict to flare up
2. a critical moment beyond which a situation will inevitably erupt into violence
3. (Chemistry) the lowest temperature at which the vapour above a liquid can be ignited in air
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||flashpoint - point at which something is ready to blow up|
criticality - a critical state; especially the point at which a nuclear reaction is self-sustaining
|2.||flashpoint - the lowest temperature at which the vapor of a combustible liquid can be ignited in air|
temperature - the degree of hotness or coldness of a body or environment (corresponding to its molecular activity)
(= place) → poudrière f
(= moment when violence erupts) to be at flashpoint → être sur le point d'exploser
(CHEMISTRY) [vapour] → point m d'ignition