Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of, afflicted with, or caused by flatulence.
2. Inducing or generating flatulence.
3. Pompous; bloated.
[French, from Latin flātus, fart; see flatus.]
1. (Physiology) suffering from or caused by an excessive amount of gas in the alimentary canal, producing uncomfortable distension
2. (Physiology) generating excessive gas in the alimentary canal
3. pretentious or windy in style. Also (archaic): flatuous
[C16: from New Latin flātulentus, from Latin: flatus]
ˈflatulence, ˈflatulency n
flat•u•lent(ˈflætʃ ə lənt)
1. having an accumulation of gas in the intestinal tract.
2. generating such gas.
3. pompous; turgid.
[1590–1600; < New Latin flātulentus; see flatus]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||flatulent - generating excessive gas in the alimentary canal|
indigestible - digested with difficulty
|2.||flatulent - suffering from excessive gas in the alimentary canal|
unhealthy - not in or exhibiting good health in body or mind; "unhealthy ulcers"