Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to flighted: take wing
a. The motion of an object in or through a medium, especially through the earth's atmosphere or through space.
b. An instance of such motion.
c. The distance covered in such motion: the long flight from Seattle to Little Rock.
a. The act or process of flying through the air by means of wings.
b. The ability to fly: Flight is characteristic of nearly all birds.
3. A swift passage or movement: barely noticed the flight of time.
4. A scheduled airline run or trip into space: the 7:00 flight to New York; the next flight of the space shuttle.
5. A group, especially of birds or aircraft, flying together.
6. A number of aircraft in the US Air Force forming a subdivision of a squadron.
7. A round of competition, as in a sports tournament.
8. An exuberant or transcendent effort or display: a flight of the imagination; flights of oratory.
9. A series of stairs rising from one landing to another.
10. A curved plate or flange that winds in a spiral around the center shaft of an auger, designed to transport loose material upward or backward along the shaft as the auger rotates. Also called flighting.
11. A set of small samples, as of different kinds of wine or beer, that are served at the same time for comparative tasting.
intr.v. flight·ed, flight·ing, flights
To migrate or fly in flocks.
The act or an instance of running away; an escape.