Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An obsolete gunlock in which a flint fixed in the hammer produces a spark that ignites the charge.
2. A firearm having this type of gunlock. Also called firelock.
1. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) an obsolete gunlock in which the charge is ignited by a spark produced by a flint in the hammer
2. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) a firearm having such a lock
1. an outmoded gunlock in which a piece of flint striking against steel produces sparks that ignite the priming.
2. a firearm with such a lock.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||flintlock - a muzzle loader that had a flintlock type of gunlock|
flintlock - an obsolete gunlock that has flint embedded in the hammer; the flint makes a spark that ignites the charge
muzzle loader - an obsolete firearm that was loaded through the muzzle
|2.||flintlock - an obsolete gunlock that has flint embedded in the hammer; the flint makes a spark that ignites the charge|
gunflint - the piece of flint that provides the igniting spark in a flintlock weapon