Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to flocculus: nodulus
n. pl. floc·cu·li (-lī′)
1. A small fluffy mass or tuft.
2. Anatomy Either of two small lobes on the lower posterior border of the cerebellum.
3. Astronomy Any of various cloudlike or filamentary masses of luminous gas appearing as bright patches on the surface of the sun often surrounding sunspots.
[New Latin, diminutive of Latin floccus, tuft of wool.]
n, pl -li (-ˌlaɪ)
1. (Astronomy) a marking on the sun's surface or in its atmosphere, as seen on a spectroheliogram. It consists of calcium when lighter than the surroundings and of hydrogen when darker
2. (Anatomy) anatomy a tiny ovoid prominence on each side of the cerebellum
3. (Chemistry) another word for floccule
floc•cu•lus(ˈflɒk yə ləs)
n., pl. -li (-ˌlaɪ)
2. one of the bright or dark patches on the sun's surface.
A cloudlike mass of gases appearing on the surface of the Sun.