Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to floorer: flooring
a. The surface of a room on which one stands.
b. The lower or supporting surface of a structure.
a. A story or level of a building.
b. The occupants of such a story: The entire floor complained about the noise.
a. A level surface or area used for a specified purpose: a dance floor; a threshing floor.
b. Basketball The court viewed as the playing area for taking free throws, in contrast to the foul line: The forwards made only six shots from the floor.
4. The surface of a structure on which vehicles travel.
a. The part of a legislative chamber or meeting hall where members are seated and from which they speak.
b. The right to address an assembly, as granted under parliamentary procedure.
c. The body of assembly members: a motion from the floor.
6. The part of a room or building where the principal business or work takes place, especially:
a. The area of an exchange where securities are traded.
b. The part of a retail store in which merchandise is displayed and sales are made.
c. The area of a factory where the product is manufactured or assembled.
7. The ground or lowermost surface, as of a forest or ocean.
8. A lower limit or base: a pricing floor; a bidding floor.
tr.v. floored, floor·ing, floors
1. To provide with a floor.
2. Informal To press (the accelerator of a motor vehicle) to the floor.
a. To knock down.
b. To stun; overwhelm: The very idea floored me.
1. a heavy blow
2. a conclusive or irrefutable argument