Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to flour: fluor
1. A fine, powdery foodstuff obtained by grinding and sifting the meal of a grain, especially wheat, used chiefly in baking.
2. Any of various similar finely ground or powdered foodstuffs, as of cassava, chickpeas, or bananas.
3. A soft, fine powder.
tr.v. floured, flour·ing, flours
1. To cover or coat with flour.
2. To make into flour.
[Middle English, flower, best of anything, flour; see flower.]
1. (Cookery) a powder, which may be either fine or coarse, prepared by sifting and grinding the meal of a grass, esp wheat
2. (Cookery) any finely powdered substance
3. (Cookery) (tr) to make (grain) into flour
4. (Cookery) (tr) to dredge or sprinkle (food or cooking utensils) with flour
5. (Metallurgy) (of mercury) to break into fine particles on the surface of a metal rather than amalgamating, or to produce such an effect on (a metal). The effect is caused by impurities, esp sulphur
[C13 flur finer portion of meal, flower]
flour(flaʊər, ˈflaʊ ər)
1. the finely ground meal of grain, esp. wheat, separated by bolting.
2. a finely ground preparation of fish, bananas, dehydrated potatoes, etc.
3. a fine, soft powder.v.t.
4. to make (grain) into flour; grind and bolt.
5. to sprinkle or coat with flour.v.i.
6. to disintegrate into minute particles.
[1200–50; Middle English; special use of flower]
Past participle: floured
To coat with seasoned flour, usually before frying.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||flour - fine powdery foodstuff obtained by grinding and sifting the meal of a cereal grain|
plain flour - flour that does not contain a raising agent
wheat flour - flour prepared from wheat
semolina - milled product of durum wheat (or other hard wheat) used in pasta
pastry - any of various baked foods made of dough or batter
bread, breadstuff, staff of life - food made from dough of flour or meal and usually raised with yeast or baking powder and then baked
dough - a flour mixture stiff enough to knead or roll
|Verb||1.||flour - cover with flour; "flour fish or meat before frying it"|
cookery, cooking, preparation - the act of preparing something (as food) by the application of heat; "cooking can be a great art"; "people are needed who have experience in cookery"; "he left the preparation of meals to his wife"
dredge - cover before cooking; "dredge the chicken in flour before frying it"
|2.||flour - convert grain into flour|
convert - change the nature, purpose, or function of something; "convert lead into gold"; "convert hotels into jails"; "convert slaves to laborers"
flour[ˈflaʊər] n → farine f
flour[ˈflaʊəʳ] n → farina
wheat, or other cereal, ground into a powder and used for cooking, baking etc. meel طَحين، دَقيق брашно farinha mouka das Mehl mel αλεύριharina jahu آرد jauho farineקמח आंटा brašno liszt tepung hveiti; kornmjöl farina 小麦粉 (일반적으로 곡물의) 가루 miltai milti tepung meelmelmąka اوړه، پوډر farinha făină мука múka moka brašno mjöl แป้ง un 麵粉 борошно آٹا، آرد، پسا ہوا غلّہ bột mì 面粉