Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
1. A minor weakness or failing of character.
2. The weaker section of a sword blade, from the middle to the tip.
[Obsolete French foible, weak point of a sword, weak, from Old French feble, weak; see feeble.]
1. a slight peculiarity or minor weakness; idiosyncrasy
2. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) the most vulnerable part of a sword's blade, from the middle to the tip. Compare forte12
[C17: from obsolete French, from obsolete adj: feeble]
1. a minor weakness or failing of character.
2. a quirk or eccentricity of character.
3. the part of a sword or foil blade between the middle and the point, less strong than the forte.
[1640–50; < French, variant of faible feeble]
syn: See fault.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||foible - a behavioral attribute that is distinctive and peculiar to an individual|
|2.||foible - the weaker part of a sword's blade from the forte to the tip|
part, portion - something less than the whole of a human artifact; "the rear part of the house"; "glue the two parts together"