Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. (Zoology) the top of the front leg of an animal
2. (Cookery) a cut of meat from this part
n., v. shinned, shin•ning. n.
1. the front part of the leg from the knee to the ankle.
2. the lower part of the foreleg in cattle.
3. the shinbone or tibia, esp. its sharp edge or front portion.v.t., v.i.
4. to climb (a pole or the like) by holding fast with the legs after drawing oneself up with the hands.
[before 1000; Middle English shine, Old English scinu, c. Middle Dutch, Middle Low German schēne, Old High German scina shin, needle]
the 21st letter of the Hebrew alphabet.
[1895–1900; < Hebrew shīn, akin to shēn tooth]