Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Having four equal sides and four right angles; square.
2. Marked by firm, unwavering conviction or expression; forthright: a foursquare refusal to yield.
3. Of or being a style of American residential architecture popular especially in the early 20th century, usually having two and a half stories and characterized by a square boxy shape and a four-room floor plan.
In a forthright manner; squarely.
A child's game in which each of four players stands in one of four boxes drawn on the ground in a two-by-two grid and must bounce a ball into another player's box without holding the ball or stepping out of bounds.
1. solid and strong
2. forthright; honest
3. a rare word for square
1. consisting of four corners and four right angles; square.
2. firm; forthright: foursquare dedication.adv.
3. without equivocation; forthrightly.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||foursquare - (geometry) a plane rectangle with four equal sides and four right angles; a four-sided regular polygon; "you can compute the area of a square if you know the length of its sides"|
geometry - the pure mathematics of points and lines and curves and surfaces
regular polygon - a polygon with all sides and all angles equal
quadrate - a square-shaped object
rectangle - a parallelogram with four right angles
|Adj.||1.||foursquare - characterized by firm and unwavering conviction; "a foursquare refusal to yield"|
resolute - firm in purpose or belief; characterized by firmness and determination; "stood resolute against the enemy"; "faced with a resolute opposition"; "a resolute and unshakeable faith"
|Adv.||1.||foursquare - in a square position; "the building stood foursquare"|
|2.||foursquare - with firmness and conviction; without compromise; "he stood foursquare for religious liberty and toleration"- C.G.Bowers; "dealt straightforwardly with all issues"|