Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
(Units) the full name for ton14
1. a unit of weight, equivalent to 2000 pounds (0.907 metric ton) avoirdupois (short ton) in the U.S. and 2240 pounds (1.016 metric tons) avoirdupois (long ton) in Great Britain.
2. Also called freight ton . a unit of volume for freight that weighs one ton, varying with the type of freight measured, as 40 cubic feet of oak timber or 20 bushels of wheat.
3. metric ton.
5. a unit of volume used in transportation by sea, commonly equal to 40 cubic feet (1.13 cu. m).
6. a unit of internal capacity of ships, equal to 100 cubic feet (2.83 cu. m) (register ton).
7. Often, tons. a great quantity; a lot: a ton of jokes.
[1350–1400; Middle English; variant of tun]
n., pl. tons (Fr. tôn).
1. high fashion; stylishness.
2. the current fashion, style, or vogue.
[1755–65; < French < Latin tonus tone]
a suffix formerly used to form nouns from adjectives: simpleton; singleton.