fulminate(redirected from fulminator)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to fulminator: fulminatory
v. ful·mi·nat·ed, ful·mi·nat·ing, ful·mi·nates
1. To issue a thunderous verbal attack or denunciation: fulminated against political chicanery.
2. To explode or detonate.
1. To issue (a denunciation, for example) thunderously.
2. To cause to explode.
An explosive salt of fulminic acid, especially fulminate of mercury.
[Middle English fulminaten, from Latin fulmināre, fulmināt-, to strike with lightning, from fulmen, fulmin-, lightning that strikes; see bhel- in Indo-European roots.]
ful′mi·na·to′ry (-nə-tôr′ē) adj.
1. (often foll by: against) to make criticisms or denunciations; rail
2. to explode with noise and violence
3. (intr) archaic to thunder and lighten
(Elements & Compounds) any salt or ester of fulminic acid, esp the mercury salt, which is used as a detonator
[C15: from Medieval Latin fulmināre; see fulminant]
v. -nat•ed, -nat•ing,
1. to explode with a loud noise; detonate.
2. to issue denunciations or the like (usu. fol. by against).v.t.
3. to cause to explode.
4. to issue or pronounce with vehement denunciation, condemnation, or the like.n.
5. one of a group of unstable, explosive compounds derived from fulminic acid, esp. its mercury salt, used as a detonating agent.
[1375–1425; late Middle English < Latin fulminātus, past participle of fulmināre (of lightning) to strike, derivative of fulmen lightning bolt, violent utterance]
Past participle: fulminated
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fulminate - a salt or ester of fulminic acid|
fulminate of mercury, fulminating mercury, mercury fulminate - a fulminate that when dry explodes violently if struck or heated; used in detonators and blasting caps and percussion caps
salt - a compound formed by replacing hydrogen in an acid by a metal (or a radical that acts like a metal)
|Verb||1.||fulminate - criticize severely; "He fulminated against the Republicans' plan to cut Medicare"; "She railed against the bad social policies"|
denounce - speak out against; "He denounced the Nazis"
|2.||fulminate - come on suddenly and intensely; "the disease fulminated"|
|3.||fulminate - cause to explode violently and with loud noise|
verb (often with against) criticize, rage, curse, denounce, put down, thunder, fume, protest against, censure, berate, castigate, rail against, vilify, tear into (informal), flame (informal), blast, diss (slang, chiefly U.S.), upbraid, inveigh against, reprobate, lambast(e), excoriate, execrate, vituperate, animadvert upon, denunciate They all fulminated against the new curriculum.