Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to furnace: electric furnace, Muffle furnace
1. An enclosure in which energy in a nonthermal form is converted to heat, especially such an enclosure in which heat is generated by the combustion of a suitable fuel.
2. An intensely hot place: the furnace of the sun; an attic room that is a furnace in the summer.
3. A severe test or trial: endured the furnace of his friends' blame after the accident.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) an enclosed chamber in which heat is produced to generate steam, destroy refuse, smelt or refine ores, etc
2. a very hot or stifling place
[C13: from Old French fornais, from Latin fornax oven, furnace; related to Latin formus warm]
1. a structure or apparatus in which heat may be generated, as for heating houses, smelting ores, or producing steam.
2. a place characterized by intense heat.
[1175–1225; Middle English furneis, furnais < Old French fornais, fournais < Latin fornācem, kiln, oven]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||furnace - an enclosed chamber in which heat is produced to heat buildings, destroy refuse, smelt or refine ores, etc.|
athanor - a furnace that feeds itself so as to maintain a uniform temperature; used by alchemists
blast furnace - a furnace for smelting of iron from iron oxide ores; combustion is intensified by a blast of air
chamber - a natural or artificial enclosed space
cremation chamber, crematorium, crematory - a furnace where a corpse can be burned and reduced to ashes
cupola - a vertical cylindrical furnace for melting iron for casting
electric furnace - any furnace in which the heat is provided by an electric current
firebox - a furnace (as on a steam locomotive) in which fuel is burned
forge - furnace consisting of a special hearth where metal is heated before shaping
gas furnace - a furnace that burns gas
incinerator - a furnace for incinerating (especially to dispose of refuse)
kiln - a furnace for firing or burning or drying such things as porcelain or bricks
open-hearth furnace - a furnace for making steel in which the steel is placed on a shallow hearth and flames of burning gas and hot air play over it
register - a regulator (as a sliding plate) for regulating the flow of air into a furnace or other heating device
reverberatory furnace - a furnace in which the material that is being treated is heated indirectly by flames that are directed at the roof and walls of the furnace
tank furnace - furnace into one end of which a batch of measured raw materials is shoveled and from the other end molten glass is obtained
furnace[ˈfɜːrnɪs] n → fourneau m
furnace[ˈfɜːnɪs] n → fornace f
a very hot oven or closed-in fireplace for melting iron ore, making steam for heating etc. oond فُرْن، أتون пещ fornalha pec der (Schmelz-)ofen ovn; smelteovn καμίνι, κλίβανοςhorno sulatusahi, keskkütteahi کوره uuni chaudièreכבשן भट्टी visoka pec (talionice); pec (centralnog grijanja) kemence peleburan bræðsluofn fornace 炉 노(爐) krosnis, aukštakrosnė kurtuve relau smeltovenovn; fyranleggpiec كوره، داښ، تنور fornalha cuptor печь; топка vysoká pec peč, kotel peć masugn, smältugn, värmepanna เตาหลอม ocak, kazan, fırın 爐子 горно; піч بھٹی، انگیٹھی lò luyện kim, lò nấu thuỷ tinh 炉子