Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to gaffer: best boy
1. An electrician in charge of lighting on a movie or television set.
2. Chiefly British An old man or a rustic.
3. Chiefly British A boss or foreman.
1. an old man, esp one living in the country: often used affectionately or patronizingly. Compare gammer
2. informal chiefly Brit a boss, foreman, or owner of a factory, mine, etc
3. (Film) the senior electrician on a television or film set
[C16: alteration of godfather]
1. the chief electrician on a motion-picture or television production.
2. Informal. an old man.
3. Brit. the foreman or overseer of a group of workers.
[1565–75; contraction of godfather]
gaffer- In television and film, the senior electrician.
See also related terms for television.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gaffer - an elderly man|
|2.||gaffer - an electrician responsible for lighting on a movie or tv set|
|3.||gaffer - a person who exercises control over workers; "if you want to leave early you have to ask the foreman"|
baas - South African term for `boss'
ganger - the foreman of a work gang
supervisor - one who supervises or has charge and direction of