Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to gardenia: Gardena
1. Any of various tropical shrubs and trees of the genus Gardenia, especially G. jasminoides, native to China, having glossy evergreen leaves and large, fragrant, usually white flowers.
2. The flower of any of these plants. In both senses also called Cape jasmine.
[New Latin Gardenia, genus name, after Alexander Garden.]
1. (Plants) any evergreen shrub or tree of the Old World tropical rubiaceous genus Gardenia, cultivated for their large fragrant waxlike typically white flowers
2. (Plants) the flower of any of these shrubs
[C18: New Latin, named after Dr Alexander Garden (1730–91), American botanist]
gar•de•nia(gɑrˈdi nyə, -ni ə)
n., pl. -nias.
1. any subtropical Old World evergreen tree or shrub of the genus Gardenia, of the madder family, having shiny leaves and fragrant white flowers.
2. the flower of these plants.
[< New Latin (1760), after Alexander Garden (1730–91), American physician; see -ia]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gardenia - any of various shrubs and small trees of the genus Gardenia having large fragrant white or yellow flowers|
genus Gardenia - large genus of attractive Old World tropical shrubs and small trees
cape jasmine, cape jessamine, Gardenia augusta, Gardenia jasminoides - evergreen shrub widely cultivated for its large fragrant waxlike white flowers and glossy leaves