Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A system of gears and associated elements by which motion is transferred within a machine.
2. The act or technique of providing with gears.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) an assembly of gears designed to transmit motion
2. (Mechanical Engineering) the act or technique of providing gears to transmit motion
3. (Banking & Finance) accounting Also called: capital gearing Brit the ratio of a company's debt capital to its equity capital. US word: leverage
1. an assembly of parts, esp. a train of gears, for transmitting and modifying motion and torque in a machine.
2. the act or process of equipping with gears.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gearing - wheelwork consisting of a connected set of rotating gears by which force is transmitted or motion or torque is changed; "the fool got his tie caught in the geartrain"|
engine - motor that converts thermal energy to mechanical work
epicyclic gear train, epicyclic train - a system of epicyclic gears in which at least one wheel axis itself revolves about another fixed axis
reduction gear - gearing that reduces an input speed to a slower output speed
wheelwork - mechanical device including an arrangement of wheel in a machine (especially a train of gears)