Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
gel·a·tinalso gel·a·tine (jĕl′ə-tn)
a. A colorless or slightly yellow, transparent, brittle protein formed by boiling the specially prepared skin, bones, and connective tissue of animals and used in foods, drugs, and photographic film.
b. Any of various similar substances.
2. A jelly made with gelatin, used as a dessert or salad base.
3. A thin sheet made of colored gelatin used in theatrical lighting. Also called gel.
[French gélatine, from Italian gelatina, diminutive of gelata, jelly, from feminine past participle of gelare, to freeze, from Latin gelāre; see gel- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
or gel•a•tine(ˈdʒɛl ə tn)
1. a nearly transparent, glutinous substance, obtained by boiling the bones, ligaments, etc., of animals, and used in making jellies, glues, and the like.
2. any of various similar substances, as vegetable gelatin.
3. a preparation or product in which such a substance is the essential constituent.
4. an edible jelly made of this substance.
5. Also called gel, gel′atin slide`. a thin sheet of translucent, colored gelatin for placing over a stage light to obtain lighting effects.
[1790–1800; < French gélatine < Medieval Latin gelātina < Latin gelātus, past participle of gelāre to freeze]
An odorless, colorless protein substance obtained by boiling a mixture of water and the skin, bones, and tendons of animals. The preparation forms a gel when allowed to cool. It is used in foods, drugs, glue, and film.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gelatin - a colorless water-soluble glutinous protein obtained from animal tissues such as bone and skin|
|2.||gelatin - an edible jelly (sweet or pungent) made with gelatin and used as a dessert or salad base or a coating for foods|
calf's-foot jelly - a savory jelly made with gelatin obtained by boiling calves' feet
gelatin dessert - jellied dessert made with gelatin and fruit juice or water
aspic - savory jelly based on fish or meat stock used as a mold for meats or vegetables
|3.||gelatin - a thin translucent membrane used over stage lights for color effects|
membrane - a thin pliable sheet of material