Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A member of the French national police organization constituting a branch of the armed forces with responsibility for general law enforcement.
2. Slang A police officer.
3. A subsidiary pinnacle on a steep mountain ridge.
gendarme(ˈʒɒndɑːm; French ʒɑ̃darm)
1. (Military) a member of the police force in France or in countries formerly influenced or controlled by France
2. (Law) a slang word for a policeman
3. (Geological Science) a sharp pinnacle of rock on a mountain ridge, esp in the Alps
[C16: from French, from gens d'armes people of arms]
gen•darme(ˈʒɑn dɑrm; Fr. ʒɑ̃ˈdarm)
n., pl. -darmes (-dɑrmz; Fr. -ˈdarm)
1. a police officer in any of several European countries, esp. in France.
2. a soldier, esp. in France, serving in an army group acting as armed police with authority over civilians.
[1540–50; < Middle French, earlier gens d'armes, alter. of gent d'armes people at arms]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gendarme - a French policeman|