Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A legislative body, especially a US state legislature.
2. General Assembly Abbr. GA The principal deliberative body of the United Nations, in which each member nation is represented and has one vote.
3. The supreme governing body of some religious denominations.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the deliberative assembly of the United Nations. Abbreviation: GA
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the former name for the parliament of New Zealand
3. (Ecclesiastical Terms) the supreme governing body of certain religious denominations, esp of the Presbyterian Church
1. the legislature in some states of the U.S.
2. the main deliberative body of the U.N., composed of delegations from member nations.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||General Assembly - the supreme deliberative assembly of the United Nations|
UN, United Nations - an organization of independent states formed in 1945 to promote international peace and security
deliberative assembly - an assembly of people for the purpose of unhurried consideration and discussion
|2.||general assembly - persons who make or amend or repeal laws|
scrutin uninomial system, scrutin uninominal voting system, single-member system, uninominal system, uninominal voting system - based on the principle of having only one member (as of a legislature) selected from each electoral district
authorities, government, regime - the organization that is the governing authority of a political unit; "the government reduced taxes"; "the matter was referred to higher authorities"
senate - assembly possessing high legislative powers
Congress, U.S. Congress, United States Congress, US Congress - the legislature of the United States government
house - an official assembly having legislative powers; "a bicameral legislature has two houses"
legislative council - a unicameral legislature
assembly - a group of persons who are gathered together for a common purpose
congress - a national legislative assembly
diet - a legislative assembly in certain countries (e.g., Japan)
parliament - a legislative assembly in certain countries
Duma - a legislative body in the ruling assembly of Russia and of some other republics in the former USSR
sergeant at arms, serjeant-at-arms - an officer (as of a legislature or court) who maintains order and executes commands
appropriation - money set aside (as by a legislature) for a specific purpose