Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to genipap: genipap fruit
1. A tropical American evergreen tree (Genipa americana) having yellowish-white flowers and edible fruits used in preserves or drinks. The fruits yield dark blue dye that is used as a body paint by Indians of tropical America.
2. The reddish-brown fruit of this plant. In both senses also called genip.
[Portuguese genipapo, from Tupí jenipapo, from yandi-ipab, genipap fruit.]
1. (Plants) an evergreen Caribbean rubiaceous tree, Genipa americana, with reddish-brown edible orange-like fruits
2. (Plants) the fruit of this tree
[C17: from Portuguese genipapo, from Tupi]
1. a tropical American tree, Genipa americana, of the madder family, bearing a round edible fruit.
2. the fruit itself.
[1605–15; < Portuguese genipapo < Tupi ianipaba]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||genipap - a succulent orange-sized tropical fruit with a thick rind|
edible fruit - edible reproductive body of a seed plant especially one having sweet flesh