gentlewoman(redirected from gentlewomanliness)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
1. A woman of gentle or noble birth or superior social position.
2. A well-mannered and considerate woman with high standards of proper behavior.
3. A woman acting as a personal attendant to a lady of rank.
n, pl -women
1. archaic a woman regarded as being of good family or breeding; lady
2. rare a woman who is cultured, courteous, and well-educated
3. (Historical Terms) history a woman in personal attendance on a high-ranking lady
gen•tle•wom•an(ˈdʒɛn tlˌwʊm ən)
n., pl. -wom•en.
1. a woman of good family, breeding, or social position.
2. a civilized, educated, sensitive, or well-mannered woman; lady.
3. a woman who attends upon a lady of rank.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gentlewoman - a woman of refinement; "a chauffeur opened the door of the limousine for the grand lady"|
grande dame - a middle-aged or elderly woman who is stylish and highly respected
madame - title used for a married Frenchwoman