geranium(redirected from geraniums)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of various plants of the genus Pelargonium, native chiefly to southern Africa and widely cultivated for their rounded, often variegated leaves and showy clusters of red, pink, or white irregular flowers. An essential oil is obtained from the leaves of some species. Also called pelargonium, storksbill.
2. Any of various plants of the genus Geranium, having palmately divided leaves and pink or purplish regular flowers. Also called cranesbill.
3. A strong to vivid red.
[New Latin Geranium, genus name (under which Linnaeus included both Geranium and Pelargonium, later separated), from Latin geranium, a species of geranium (G. tuberosum), cranesbill (from the appearance of its seed capsule ), from Greek geranion, diminutive of geranos, crane; see gerə- in Indo-European roots.]
1. (Plants) any cultivated geraniaceous plant of the genus Pelargonium, having scarlet, pink, or white showy flowers. See also pelargonium, rose geranium, lemon geranium
2. (Plants) any geraniaceous plant of the genus Geranium, such as cranesbill and herb Robert, having divided leaves and pink or purplish flowers
3. (Colours) a strong red to a moderate or strong pink colour
[C16: from Latin: cranesbill, from Greek geranion, from geranos crane]
ge•ra•ni•um(dʒɪˈreɪ ni əm)
1. Also called crane's-bill. any plant of the genus Geranium, having usu. pink or purplish flowers.
3. Also called stork's-bill. any plant of the widely cultivated allied S African genus Pelargonium, having showy red, pink, or white flowers and sometimes fragrant leaves.
4. a vivid red color.
[1540–50; < New Latin, for Latin geranion < Greek geránion, derivative of géranos crane]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||geranium - any of numerous plants of the family Geraniaceae|
herb, herbaceous plant - a plant lacking a permanent woody stem; many are flowering garden plants or potherbs; some having medicinal properties; some are pests
Pelargonium graveolens, rose geranium, sweet-scented geranium - any of several southern African geraniums having fragrant three-lobed to five-lobed leaves and pink flowers
bedding geranium, fish geranium, Pelargonium hortorum, zonal pelargonium - an upright geranium having scalloped leaves with a broad color zone inside the margin and white or pink or red flowers
hanging geranium, ivy geranium, ivy-leaved geranium, Pelargonium peltatum - a commonly cultivated trailing South American plant with peltate leaves and rosy flowers
apple geranium, nutmeg geranium, Pelargonium odoratissimum - geranium with round fragrant leaves and small white flowers
cây phong lữ
geranium[dʒɪˈreɪnɪəm] N → geranio m
geranium[dʒɪˈreɪniəm] n → géranium m
n → Geranie f