Guernsey(redirected from gets a guernsey)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
An island of southern Great Britain, one of the Channel Islands in the English Channel off the coast of northwest France.
n. pl. Guern·seys
Any of a breed of brown and white dairy cattle originally developed on the island of Guernsey and noted for producing a rich golden milk.
1. (Placename) an island in the English Channel: the second largest of the Channel Islands, which, with Alderney and Sark, Herm, Jethou, and some islets, forms the bailiwick of Guernsey; finance, market gardening, dairy farming, and tourism. Capital: St Peter Port. Pop: 65 605 (2013). Area: 63 sq km (24.5 sq miles)
2. (Breeds) a breed of dairy cattle producing rich creamy milk, originating from the island of Guernsey
3. (Clothing & Fashion) (sometimes not capital) a seaman's knitted woollen sweater
4. (Clothing & Fashion) (not capital) Austral a sleeveless woollen shirt or jumper worn by a football player
5. get a guernsey Austral to be selected or gain recognition for something
n., pl. -seys.
1. Isle of, one of the Channel Islands, in the English Channel. 55,482; 25 sq. mi. (65 sq. km).
2. one of a breed of tan and white dairy cattle originally raised on this island.
[1825–35, for definition 2]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Guernsey - a Channel Island to the northwest of Jersey|
Channel Island - any of a group of British islands in the English Channel off the northern coast of France
|2.||Guernsey - breed of dairy cattle from the island of Guernsey|