Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An evil spirit or demon in Muslim folklore believed to plunder graves and feed on corpses.
2. In popular folklore, an undead or subhuman being, especially one that eats human flesh.
3. A grave robber.
4. One who delights in the revolting, morbid, or loathsome.
1. a malevolent spirit or ghost
2. a person interested in morbid or disgusting things
3. a person who robs graves
4. (Non-European Myth & Legend) (in Muslim legend) an evil demon thought to eat human bodies, either stolen corpses or children
[C18: from Arabic ghūl, from ghāla he seized]
1. an evil demon, orig. of Eastern legend, believed to rob graves, prey on corpses, etc.
2. a grave robber.
3. a person who revels in what is revolting.
[1780–90; < Arabic ghūl]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ghoul - someone who takes bodies from graves and sells them for anatomical dissection|
|2.||ghoul - an evil spirit or ghost|
evil spirit - a spirit tending to cause harm