gigolo(redirected from gigolos)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
n. pl. gig·o·los
1. A man who engages in an ongoing sexual relationship with a client in exchange for financial support.
2. A man who is hired as an escort or a dancing partner for a woman.
[French, perhaps from gigolette, dancing girl, prostitute, from giguer, to dance, from gigue, fiddle, from Old French; see gigot.]
n, pl -los
1. a man who is kept by a woman, esp an older woman
2. a man who is paid to dance with or escort women
[C20: from French, back formation from gigolette girl for hire as a dancing partner, prostitute, from giguer to dance, from gigue a fiddle; compare gigot, gigue, jig]
gig•o•lo(ˈdʒɪg əˌloʊ, ˈʒɪg-)
n., pl. -los.
1. a man living off the earnings or gifts of a woman, esp. a younger man supported by an older woman in return for his sexual attentions and companionship.
2. a male professional dancing partner or escort.
[1920–25; < French, masculine derivative of gigolette woman of the streets or public dance halls]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gigolo - a man who has sex with and is supported by a woman|