Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to gillie: ghillie
gil·liealso ghil·lie (gĭl′ē)
n. pl. gil·lies
1. Scots A professional fishing and hunting guide.
2. A shoe with crisscrossed laces and no tongue, especially a low-cut, soft shoe used in dancing.
[Scottish Gaelic gille, boy, servant, from Old Irish gilla, from gildae.]
n, pl -lies
1. (Hunting) an attendant or guide for hunting or fishing
2. (Hunting) (formerly) a Highland chieftain's male attendant or personal servant
[C17: from Scottish Gaelic gille boy, servant]
a. a hunting or fishing guide.
b. a male attendant or personal servant to a Highland chieftain.
2. a low-cut, tongueless oxford shoe with loops instead of eyelets for the laces.
[1590–1600; < Scottish Gaelic gille lad, servant]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gillie - a young male attendant on a Scottish Highlander chief|
|2.||gillie - a shoe without a tongue and with decorative lacing up the instep|
shoe - footwear shaped to fit the foot (below the ankle) with a flexible upper of leather or plastic and a sole and heel of heavier material