gin(redirected from ginners)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
A strong colorless alcoholic beverage made by distilling or redistilling rye or other grain spirits and adding juniper berries and sometimes other flavorings such as anise, caraway seeds, or angelica root.
[Alteration of geneva, from Dutch jenever, from Middle Dutch geniver, juniper, from Old French geneivre, from Vulgar Latin *iiniperus, from Latin iūniperus.]
1. Any of several machines or devices, especially:
a. A machine for hoisting or moving heavy objects.
b. A pile driver.
c. A snare or trap for game.
d. A pump operated by a windmill.
2. A cotton gin.
tr.v. ginned, gin·ning, ginsPhrasal Verb:
1. To remove the seeds from (cotton) with a cotton gin.
2. To trap in a gin.
1. To create or produce; work up: "If we ever ginned up the courage to speak honestly about race, we might also open up unexpected avenues of racial healing" (Michael Eric Dyson).
2. To create or produce under false pretenses: "U.S. officials have asked their foreign counterparts to gin up a charge so that the United States can credibly claim it is rendering a suspect to face legal charges when it is really trying to gather information" (Daniel Byman).
3. To increase or make more active: gin up sales; gin up the economy.
[Middle English, from Old French, short for engin, skill; see engine.]
Used to announce that one has won a game of gin rummy.
1. (Brewing) an alcoholic drink obtained by distillation and rectification of the grain of malted barley, rye, or maize, flavoured with juniper berries
2. (Brewing) any of various grain spirits flavoured with other fruit or aromatic essences: sloe gin.
3. (Brewing) an alcoholic drink made from any rectified spirit
[C18: shortened from Dutch genever juniper, via Old French from Latin jūniperus juniper]
1. (Mechanical Engineering) a primitive engine in which a vertical shaft is turned by horses driving a horizontal beam or yoke in a circle
2. (Mechanical Engineering) Also called: cotton gin a machine of this type used for separating seeds from raw cotton
3. (Hunting) a trap for catching small mammals, consisting of a noose of thin strong wire
4. (Mechanical Engineering) a hand-operated hoist that consists of a drum winder turned by a crank
vb (tr) , gins, ginning or ginned
5. (Mechanical Engineering) to free (cotton) of seeds with a gin
6. (Hunting) to trap or snare (game) with a gin
[C13 gyn, shortened from engine]
vb, gins, ginning, gan or gun
an archaic word for begin
[perhaps related to gif, an earlier form of if]
offensive slang Austral an Aboriginal woman
[C19: from a native Australian language]
an alcoholic liquor distilled or redistilled with juniper berries, orange peel, or other flavorings.
[1705–15; shortened from geneva]
n., v. ginned, gin•ning. n.
1. cotton gin.
2. a trap or snare for game.
3. a machine employing simple tackle or windlass mechanisms for hoisting.v.t.
4. to clear (cotton) of seeds with a gin.
5. to snare (game).
[1150–1200; < Old French engin engine]
1. Also called gin rummy. a variety of rummy for two players, sometimes played with knocking.
2. a gin hand in which the cards are matched in sets, winning extra points.
[1955–60; perhaps gin1]
Past participle: ginned
Past participle: gun
Generally a cotton gin, which is a collection of machines to separate cotton fibers from cottonseed and then bale the fibers.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gin - strong liquor flavored with juniper berries|
juniper berries - berrylike cone of a common juniper; used in making gin
booze, hard drink, hard liquor, John Barleycorn, liquor, spirits, strong drink - an alcoholic beverage that is distilled rather than fermented
bathtub gin - homemade gin especially that made illegally
sloe gin - gin flavored with sloes (fruit of the blackthorn)
gin and tonic - gin and quinine water
martini - a cocktail made of gin (or vodka) with dry vermouth
gin and it - a cocktail made of gin and sweet vermouth
pink lady - a cocktail made of gin and brandy with lemon juice and grenadine shaken with an egg white and ice
|2.||gin - a trap for birds or small mammals; often has a slip noose|
slipknot - a knot at the end of a cord or rope that can slip along the cord or rope around which it is made
trap - a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned
|3.||gin - a machine that separates the seeds from raw cotton fibers|
machine - any mechanical or electrical device that transmits or modifies energy to perform or assist in the performance of human tasks
|4.||gin - a form of rummy in which a player can go out if the cards remaining in their hand total less than 10 points|
|Verb||1.||gin - separate the seeds from (cotton) with a cotton gin|
|2.||gin - trap with a snare; "gin game"|
جِنجِن: مُسْكِر قَوي
a type of alcoholic drink made from grain and flavoured with juniper berries. jenewer جِن: مُسْكِر قَوي джин gim džin der Gin gin τζινginebra dþinn مشروب الکلی جین gini gin גין जिन, मदिरा džin gin gin gin gin ジン 진(호밀 등으로 만든 독한 증류주) džinas džins gin gingindżin جين ( يوډول شراب gin gin джин džin gin džin gin เหล้าชนิดหนึ่ง cin 琴酒 джин ایک الکحلی مشروب rượu gin 杜松子酒