Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. See glasswork.
2. Chiefly British A greenhouse.
3. A place, position, or situation involving intense public scrutiny.
1. (Botany) Brit a glass building, esp a greenhouse, used for growing plants in protected or controlled conditions
2. (Military) obsolete informal chiefly Brit a military detention centre
3. (Ceramics) US another word for glassworks
n., pl. -hous•es (-ˌhaʊ zɪz) Brit.
2. Slang. a military prison.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||glasshouse - a building with glass walls and roof; for the cultivation and exhibition of plants under controlled conditions|
building, edifice - a structure that has a roof and walls and stands more or less permanently in one place; "there was a three-story building on the corner"; "it was an imposing edifice"
hothouse, indoor garden, conservatory - a greenhouse in which plants are arranged in a pleasing manner
orangery - a place where oranges are grown; a plantation of orange trees in warm climes or a greenhouse in cooler areas