goat(redirected from goatier)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
greatest of all time
1. A domesticated ruminant mammal (Capra hircus) having backward curving horns and a beard especially in the male, raised for its wool, milk, and meat.
2. Any of various wild ruminant mammals of the genus Capra and related genera, including the ibexes and the wild goat (C. aegagrus) of Eurasia.
3. A lecherous man.
4. A person who is blamed for a failure or misfortune, especially a scapegoat.
[Middle English got, from Old English gāt.]
1. (Animals) any sure-footed agile bovid mammal of the genus Capra, naturally inhabiting rough stony ground in Europe, Asia, and N Africa, typically having a brown-grey colouring and a beard. Domesticated varieties (C. hircus) are reared for milk, meat, and wool.
2. (Animals) short for Rocky Mountain goat
3. informal a lecherous man
4. a bad or inferior member of any group (esp in the phrase separate the sheep from the goats)
5. short for scapegoat
6. act the goat act the giddy goat play the goat play the giddy goat to fool around
7. get someone's goat slang to cause annoyance to someone
[Old English gāt; related to Old Norse geit, Old High German geiz, Latin haedus kid]
(Astrology) the Goat the constellation Capricorn, the tenth sign of the zodiac
1. any agile, hollow-horned ruminant of the Old World genus Capra, of the family Bovidae, closely related to sheep, usu. native to mountainous regions, and widely distributed in domesticated varieties.
2. any of various related animals, as the Rocky Mountain goat.
3. (cap.) Capricorn (def 1).
4. a scapegoat or victim.
5. a lecherous man.Idioms:
get someone's goat, Informal. to anger, annoy, or frustrate a person.
[before 900; Middle English got, Old English gāt, c. Old Saxon gēt, Old High German geiz, Old Norse geit, Gothic gaits; akin to Latin haedus kid]
Any of various hoofed ruminant mammals related to the sheep and having hollow, curved horns and a beard. Goats are raised in many parts of the world for wool, milk, and meat.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||goat - any of numerous agile ruminants related to sheep but having a beard and straight horns|
horn - one of the bony outgrowths on the heads of certain ungulates
bovid - hollow-horned ruminants
beard - hairy growth on or near the face of certain mammals
kid - young goat
wild goat - undomesticated goat
|2.||goat - a victim of ridicule or pranks|
April fool - the butt of a prank played on April 1st
|3.||Goat - (astrology) a person who is born while the sun is in Capricorn|
individual, mortal, person, somebody, someone, soul - a human being; "there was too much for one person to do"
|4.||Goat - the tenth sign of the zodiac; the sun is in this sign from about December 22 to January 19|
n → Ziege f; (inf: = silly person) (= man) → Esel m (inf); (= woman) → Ziege f (inf); (= lecher) → Bock m (inf); to act the goat (inf) → herumalbern; to get somebody’s goat (inf) → jdn auf die Palme bringen (inf)
n (US) → Meerbarbe f
n → Ziegenhirt(in) m(f)
n = goat cheese
n → Ziegenleder nt
an animal of the sheep family, with horns and a long-haired coat. bok ماعِز коза cabra koza, kozel die Ziege ged κατσίκαcabra kits بز vuohi chèvre, boucתיש बकरा, बकरी koza kecske kambing geit capra やぎ 염소 ožka kaza; āzis kambing geitgeitkoza بزه cabra capră; ţap козел; коза koza koza koza get แพะ keçi 山羊 коза بکری con dê 山羊
goat→ ماعِز koza ged Ziege κατσίκα cabra vuohi chèvre koza capra ヤギ 염소 geit geit koza cabra козел get แพะ keçi con dê 山羊
___ milk → leche de ___.