Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Wikipedia.
a. A playful, silly, or outlandish person.
b. An incompetent, foolish, or stupid person.
2. A careless mistake; a slip.
v. goofed, goof·ing, goofs
1. To make a silly mistake; blunder: goofed up by turning right instead of left.
2. To waste or kill time: goofed around at the mall.
3. To tease or make fun of someone: goofed on her younger brother.
To spoil, as through clumsiness; bungle. Usually used with up: goof up a job.
[Possibly alteration of dialectal goff, fool, from obsolete French goffe, stupid.]
1. a foolish error or mistake
2. a stupid person
3. to bungle (something); botch
4. (intr; often foll by about or around) to fool (around); mess (about)
5. (tr) to dope with drugs
6. (often foll by: off) US and Canadian to waste time; idle
[C20: probably from (dialect) goff simpleton, from Old French goffe clumsy, from Italian goffo, of obscure origin]
1. to make an error, misjudgment, etc.; blunder.
2. to waste time; evade work or responsibility (often fol. by off or around).v.t.
3. to spoil or make a mess of; botch; bungle (often fol. by up).
4. to tease; kid (often fol. by on).n.
5. a foolish or stupid person.
6. a mistake, esp. one due to carelessness.
7. a source of fun: We short-sheeted his bed just for a goof.
[1915–20; appar. variant of obsolete goff dolt < Middle French goffe awkward, stupid]
Past participle: goofed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||goof - a man who is a stupid incompetent fool|
|2.||goof - a person who amuses others by ridiculous behavior|
harlequin - a clown or buffoon (after the Harlequin character in the commedia dell'arte)
jester, motley fool, fool - a professional clown employed to entertain a king or nobleman in the Middle Ages
whiteface - a clown whose face is covered with white make-up
zany - a buffoon in one of the old comedies; imitates others for ludicrous effect
|Verb||1.||goof - commit a faux pas or a fault or make a serious mistake; "I blundered during the job interview"|
1. Slang. One deficient in judgment and good sense:
ass, fool, idiot, imbecile, jackass, mooncalf, moron, nincompoop, ninny, nitwit, simple, simpleton, softhead, tomfool.