Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. A thug hired to intimidate or harm opponents.
2. A stupid or oafish person.
[Probably ultimately short for gooney, simpleton.]
1. a stupid or deliberately foolish person
2. (Industrial Relations & HR Terms) informal US a thug hired to commit acts of violence or intimidation, esp in an industrial dispute
[C20: partly from dialect gooney fool, partly after the character Alice the Goon, created by E. C. Segar (1894–1938), American cartoonist]
(Brewing) informal Austral cheap wine packaged in casks or boxed
1. a hired hoodlum or thug.
2. Informal. a stupid, foolish, or awkward person.
[1920–25; shortened from dial. gooney, variant of obsolete gony a simpleton (of obscure orig.)]
goon′y, adj. -i•er, -i•est.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||goon - an awkward stupid person |
clumsy person - a person with poor motor coordination
|2.||goon - an aggressive and violent young criminal|
bully - a hired thug