gorget(redirected from gorgeted)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
1. A piece of armor protecting the throat.
2. An ornamental collar.
3. The scarflike part of a wimple covering the neck and shoulders.
4. A band or patch of distinctive color on the throat of an animal, especially an area of brightly colored feathers on the throat of a bird.
[Middle English, from Old French gorgete, diminutive of gorge, throat; see gorge.]
1. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) a collar-like piece of armour worn to protect the throat
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a part of a wimple worn by women to cover the throat and chest, esp in the 14th century
3. (Zoology) a band of distinctive colour on the throat of an animal, esp a bird
[C15: from Old French, from gorge; see gorge]
1. a patch on the throat of a bird or other animal, distinguished by its color, texture, etc.
2. a piece of armor for the throat.
3. a medieval wimple, worn with the ends fastened in the hair.
4. any of various trimmings for the neck or shoulders, as a collar or ruff, formerly worn by men and women.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gorget - armor plate that protects the neck |
armor plate, armor plating, armour plate, plate armor, plate armour - specially hardened steel plate used to protect fortifications or vehicles from enemy fire