Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to grist: Grist mill
1. Grain or a quantity of grain for grinding.
2. Ground grain.
grist for (one's)/the mill
Something that can be used to advantage.
a. grain intended to be or that has been ground
b. the quantity of such grain processed in one grinding
2. (Brewing) brewing malt grains that have been cleaned and cracked
3. grist to the mill grist to one's mill grist for the mill grist for one's mill anything that can be turned to profit or advantage
[Old English grīst; related to Old Saxon grist-grimmo gnashing of teeth, Old High German grist-grimmōn]
1. grain to be ground.
2. ground grain; meal produced from grinding.
3. a quantity of grain for grinding at one time; the amount of meal from one grinding.
4. Older Use. a quantity or lot.Idioms:
grist for or to one's mill, something used to one's profit or advantage, esp. something seemingly unpromising.
[before 1000; Middle English, Old English; akin to Old English grindan to grind]
Grista lot; a number; a quantity; a supply for an occasion; the grain which is to be ground at the mill.
Examples: grist of bees, 1848; of corn [awaiting grinding], 1483; of flies; of grain [amount carried to the mill at one time]; of hope, 1623; of meal; of rain, 1840.