Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One, such as a dog, that growls.
2. A small iceberg.
3. Electricity An electromagnetic device with two poles, used for magnetizing, demagnetizing, and finding short-circuited coils.
4. Informal A pail or other container used for carrying beer, especially a half-gallon or gallon glass jug with a gasket or screw cap.
[Sense 4, from the sound made by carbon dioxide escaping from under the lids of metal pails in which beer was carried in the past .]
1. a person, animal, or thing that growls
2. (Automotive Engineering) slang obsolete Brit a four-wheeled hansom cab
3. (Physical Geography) Canadian a small iceberg that has broken off from a larger iceberg or from a glacier, often hazardous to shipping
4. slang US any container, such as a can, for draught beer
5. derogatory slang a woman, esp one who is considered physically unattractive
1. a person or thing that growls.
2. Informal. a pitcher, pail, or other container brought by a customer for beer.
3. an electromagnetic device for identifying short circuits and for magnetizing or demagnetizing objects.
4. a small iceberg.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||growler - a speaker whose voice sounds like a growl|
|2.||growler - a small iceberg or ice floe just large enough to be hazardous for shipping|