guidon(redirected from guidons)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. A small flag or pennant carried as a standard by a military unit.
2. A soldier bearing such a flag or pennant.
[French, from Old French, from Old Italian guidone, from guidare, to guide, from Old Provençal guidar; see guide.]
1. (Military) a small pennant, used as a marker or standard, esp by cavalry regiments
2. (Military) the man or vehicle that carries this
[C16: from French, from Old Provençal guidoo, from guida guide]
1. a small military flag carried as a guide for signaling or identification.
2. a soldier carrying a guidon.
[1540–50; < Middle French < Italian guidone=guid(are) to guide + -one n. suffix]