guimpe(redirected from guimpes)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. A blouse worn under a jumper.
2. A yoke insert for a low-necked dress.
3. A starched cloth covering the neck and shoulders as part of a nun's habit.
4. See gimp1.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a short blouse with sleeves worn under a pinafore dress
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a fill-in for a low-cut dress
3. (Clothing & Fashion) a piece of starched cloth covering the chest and shoulders of a nun's habit
4. (Textiles) a variant spelling of gimp1
[C19: variant of gimp]
1. a chemisette or yoke of lace, net, or the like for filling in the neckline of a low-cut dress.
2. a short blouse, usu. with sleeves, worn under a jumper or pinafore.
3. a wide, stiffly starched cloth covering the neck and shoulders, worn as part of the habit by certain orders of nuns.
4. gimp 1.
[1840–50; see gimp1]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||guimpe - a piece of starched cloth covering the shoulders of a nun's habit|
nun's habit - a long loose habit worn by nuns in a convent
|2.||guimpe - a short blouse with sleeves that is worn under a jumper or pinafore dress|
blouse - a top worn by women