Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. gum·bos
1. Chiefly Southern US See okra.
2. A soup or stew thickened with okra pods. Also called okra.
3. Chiefly Mississippi Valley & Western US A fine silty soil, common in the southern and western United States, that forms an unusually sticky mud when wet.
4. Gumbo A French patois spoken by some black people and Creoles in Louisiana and the French West Indies.
[Louisiana French gombo, of Bantu origin; akin to Tshiluba ki-ngumbo, okra.]
n, pl -bos
1. (Plants) the mucilaginous pods of okra
2. (Plants) another name for okra
3. (Cookery) a soup or stew thickened with okra pods
4. (Physical Geography) a fine soil in the W prairies that becomes muddy when wet
[C19: from Louisiana French gombo, of Bantu origin]
(Languages) (sometimes not capital) a French patois spoken by Creoles in Louisiana and the Caribbean
n., pl. -bos.
1. a soup of chicken or seafood, greens, and seasonings, usu. thickened with okra.
3. soil that becomes sticky and nonporous when wet.
[1795–1805; < Louisiana French]
(sometimes l.c.) Louisiana Creole.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gumbo - any of various fine-grained silty soils that become waxy and very sticky mud when saturated with water|
|2.||gumbo - tall coarse annual of Old World tropics widely cultivated in southern United States and West Indies for its long mucilaginous green pods used as basis for soups and stews; sometimes placed in genus Hibiscus|
gumbo, okra - long mucilaginous green pods; may be simmered or sauteed but used especially in soups and stews
Abelmoschus, genus Abelmoschus - genus of tropical coarse herbs having large lobed leaves and often yellow flowers
okra - long green edible beaked pods of the okra plant
|3.||gumbo - long mucilaginous green pods; may be simmered or sauteed but used especially in soups and stews|
veg, vegetable, veggie - edible seeds or roots or stems or leaves or bulbs or tubers or nonsweet fruits of any of numerous herbaceous plant
|4.||gumbo - a soup or stew thickened with okra pods|
soup - liquid food especially of meat or fish or vegetable stock often containing pieces of solid food
n → Gumbo m