Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A triangular insert, as in the seam of a garment, for added strength or expansion.
2. A triangular metal bracket used to strengthen a joist.
3. A piece of mail or plate armor protecting the joints in a suit of armor.
[Middle English, piece of mail protecting the armpit, from Old French gousset, from diminutive of gousse, pod of a legume, clove of garlic, probably from or akin to Old Provençcal gossa, feminine of gos, dog (for the semantic development, compare French caïeu, clove of garlic, ultimately from Latin catellus, puppy, and English pup, offset from a cactus or banana plant); akin to Catalan gus, Occitan guss guss, Spanish cuz, sounds made to call a dog.]
1. (Knitting & Sewing) an inset piece of material used esp to strengthen or enlarge a garment
2. (Building) a triangular metal plate for strengthening a corner joist between two structural members
3. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) a piece of mail fitted between armour plates or into the leather or cloth underclothes worn with armour, to give added protection
(Knitting & Sewing) (tr) to put a gusset in (a garment)
[C15: from Old French gousset a piece of mail, a diminutive of gousse pod, of unknown origin]
1. a small, triangular piece of material inserted into a shirt, shoe, etc., to improve the fit or for reinforcement.
2. a plate for uniting structural members at a joint, as in a steel frame or truss.
[1375–1425; late Middle English < Old French gousset, derivative of gousse pod, husk]
Past participle: gusseted
A piece of material inserted in a garment to strengthen a part or enlarge it.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gusset - a piece of chain mail covering a place unprotected by armor plate|
body armor, body armour, cataphract, coat of mail, suit of armor, suit of armour - armor that protects the wearer's whole body
|2.||gusset - a metal plate used to strengthen a joist|
plate - a sheet of metal or wood or glass or plastic
|3.||gusset - a piece of material used to strengthen or enlarge a garment|
garment - an article of clothing; "garments of the finest silk"