gyrate(redirected from gyrate atrophy)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
intr.v. gy·rat·ed, gy·rat·ing, gy·rates
1. To revolve around a fixed point or axis.
2. To move in a spiral or spirallike course. See Synonyms at turn.
3. To oscillate or vary, especially in a repetitious pattern: Stock prices gyrated around last week's high.
In rings; coiled or convoluted.
[Late Latin gȳrāre, gȳrāt-, from Latin gȳrus, circle; see gyre.]
(General Physics) (intr) to rotate or spiral, esp about a fixed point or axis
(Biology) biology curved or coiled into a circle; circinate
[C19: from Late Latin gӯrāre, from Latin gӯrus circle, from Greek guros]
v. -rat•ed, -rat•ing,
1. to move in a circle or spiral or around a fixed point; whirl; revolve; rotate.adj.
2. Zool. having convolutions.
gy′ra•to`ry (-rəˌtɔr i, -ˌtoʊr i) adj.
Past participle: gyrated
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||gyrate - to wind or move in a spiral course; "the muscles and nerves of his fine drawn body were coiling for action"; "black smoke coiling up into the sky"; "the young people gyrated on the dance floor"|
turn - change orientation or direction, also in the abstract sense; "Turn towards me"; "The mugger turned and fled before I could see his face"; "She turned from herself and learned to listen to others' needs"
|2.||gyrate - revolve quickly and repeatedly around one's own axis; "The dervishes whirl around and around without getting dizzy"|
revolve, rotate, go around - turn on or around an axis or a center; "The Earth revolves around the Sun"; "The lamb roast rotates on a spit over the fire"
whirligig - whirl or spin like a whirligig