hachure(redirected from hachured)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
One of the short lines used on maps to shade or to indicate slopes and their degree and direction.
tr.v. (hă-sho͝or′) ha·chured, ha·chur·ing, ha·chures
To make hatching on (a map).
[French, from Old French, from hacher, to crosshatch; see hatch3.]
1. (Art Terms) hatching. See hatch3
2. (Physical Geography) shading of short lines drawn on a relief map to indicate gradients
(Physical Geography) (tr) to mark or show by hachures
[C19: from French, from hacher to chop up, hatch3]
n., v. -chured, -chur•ing. n.
1. one of a series of short parallel lines drawn on a map to indicate topographic relief.
2. shading composed of such lines; hatching.v.t.
3. to indicate or shade by hachures; hatch.
Past participle: hachured