Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to hamstring: hamstring muscles, hamstring injury
1. Any of the tendons at the rear hollow of the human knee.
2. or hamstrings The hamstring muscle.
3. The large tendon in the back of the hock of a quadruped.
tr.v. ham·strung (-strŭng′), ham·string·ing, ham·strings
1. To cut the hamstring of (an animal or a person) and thereby cripple.
2. To destroy or hinder the efficiency of; frustrate: "These worthwhile books are often hamstrung by unimaginative formats and inaccurate art" (Don Lessem).
1. (Anatomy) anatomy any of the tendons at the back of the knee.
2. (Zoology) the large tendon at the back of the hock in the hind leg of a horse, etc
vb (tr) , -strings, -stringing or -strung
3. to cripple by cutting the hamstring of
4. to ruin or thwart
[C16: ham1 + string]
n., v. -strung, -string•ing. n.
1. (in humans)
a. any of the tendons in the region behind the knee.
2. (in quadrupeds) the great tendon at the back of the hock.v.t.
3. to disable by cutting hamstrings.
4. to render powerless, ineffective, etc.; thwart: hamstrung by fear.
A powerful group of muscles with strong tendons at the back of the thigh or hind leg.
See also related terms for thigh.
Past participle: hamstrung
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hamstring - one of the tendons at the back of the knee|
|Verb||1.||hamstring - make ineffective or powerless; "The teachers were hamstrung by the overly rigid schedules"|
|2.||hamstring - cripple by cutting the hamstring|
verb thwart, stop, block, prevent, ruin, frustrate, handicap, curb, foil, obstruct, impede, balk, fetter He could hamstring a conservative-led coalition.
hamstringvb: pret, ptp <hamstrung>
1. n. tendones de la corva;
2. músculos flexores y aductores de la parte posterior del muslo.