Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
hand·heldalso hand-held (hănd′hĕld′)
Compact enough to be used or operated while being held in the hand or hands: a handheld video camera.
A digital device, such as a computer, PDA, or cell phone, that is small enough to be held and operated in one hand.
1. (Film) held in position by the hand
2. (Photography) (of a film camera) held rather than mounted, as in close-up action shots
3. (Computer Science) (of an electronic device) able to be held in the hand and not requiring connection to a fixed power source
(Computer Science) a computer that can be held in the hand
1. held in the hand or hands: a handheld torch.
2. compact enough to be used or operated while being held in the hand or hands: a handheld camcorder.n.
3. something small enough to be used or operated while held in the hand or hands: She traded in her bulky old movie camera for a handheld.