haricot(redirected from haricots)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
Related to haricots: String beans
The edible pod or seed of any of several beans, especially the kidney bean.
[French, possibly alteration (influenced by French haricot, stew) of Nahuatl ayacotli.]
A highly seasoned mutton or lamb stew with vegetables.
[French, from Old French hericot, hericoq, possibly from harigoter, to cut into pieces, probably of Germanic origin.]
1. (Plants) a variety of French bean with light-coloured edible seeds, which can be dried and stored
2. (Plants) another name for French bean
3. (Cookery) the seed or pod of any of these plants, eaten as a vegetable
[C17: from French, perhaps from Nahuatl ayecotli]
1. any of various beans of the genus Phaseolus, esp. the kidney bean.
2. the seed or unripe pod of any of these plants, eaten as a vegetable.
[1605–15; < French]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||haricot - a French variety of green bean plant bearing light-colored beans|
green bean - a common bean plant cultivated for its slender green edible pods
|2.||haricot - a French bean variety with light-colored seeds; usually dried|
common bean - any of numerous beans eaten either fresh or dried